Blotting Paper

An attempt to capture a handful of the random thoughts which pass through my head.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Nos(e)talgia

My soul floats away on perfume as other men's on music.
- Baudelaire

Recently, as I sat in a cab, waiting to be transported to the train station, I caught a whiff of my friend Rohini's perfume. I was instantly transported back in time to Maths lessons with Mrs Laghate, in my 7th standard classroom.

What amazes me about the human brain, is its ability to subconsciously record minute details about the environment around us, and use those as triggers to bring back vivid memories of times long gone. What’s even more amazing, is that these memories bring back the distinct feelings associated with those periods in our lives.

The smell of the first rains brings back that nervous anticipation associated with new beginnings. The flowery fragrance of anais anais - all the excitement and bliss of first loves and first kisses. The musty smell of old books takes me back to the hours spent at Kum Kum Library discovering the magical world of the far away tree and the five find outers. Mangoes – the glorious days of summer vacations and endless hours of Cartoon network.

How many times have we all wished that we could go back and relive a particular period in our lives. Proustian Memory as scientists call this phenomenon allows us the opportunity to do just that, if only for a few brief seconds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home